The Moderate Washingtonian

Outlook on politics and elections in the state of Washington from an overall centrist viewpoint. My views tend to be libertarian in nature, but at the same time are largely nonpartisan.

16 March 2007

RIP Jack Metcalf

Longtime state legislator and former Congressman Jack Metcalf died yesterday at the age of 79. His political career bloomed late, being elected to Congress in the 1994 GOP revolution and being one of the few to keep their promise of serving three terms, it came decades after twice challenging the great Warren Magnuson for his US Senate seat. Metcalf also served five terms in the state Senate from northwestern Washington's 10th legislative district.

I don't typically make note of political obituaries here, but given his long service and that I had always admired Metcalf as an independent-minded conservative, I wanted to offer my respects for the man.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the honor to work on Sen. Jack Metcalf campaign. Senator Metcalf impressed me with his dignity, calm and honesty. Rare in politics. He stuck by his word. He was passionate about his community. And he was true gentleman. I had seen him just a few weeks ago and he still smiled kindly even though I knew that he did not recognize me.

Jack will always be in the special spot in my heart where fond memories lie and remembered as a scholar and gentleman

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger TMW said...

He was indeed a principled public servant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home