The Moderate Washingtonian

Outlook on politics and elections in the state of Washington from an overall centrist viewpoint. My views tend to be libertarian in nature, but at the same time are largely nonpartisan.

20 June 2006

KCC votes to approve mandatory all-mail elections

This is slightly disappointing for me, not in that I had any illusions that Dean Logan's departure would change their mind, but on a party-line vote the King County Council has voted to authorize a switch to all-mail voting, with a provision extending the start date until all key elements are in place. Councilman Bob Ferguson [D-Seattle] introduced the amendment mandating that the switch cannot be implemented until the county hires a new elections director and elections superintendent, among other things outlined in the article. Bob is on the ball even though I disagree with his overall vote.

I had an opportunity to vote on a similar measure in Spokane County last fall, one that easily passed despite my vote against it. While I am and have always been a permanent absentee voter, I sympathize with those who disagree and prefer to vote at polling stations on election day. Freedom of choice in this matter is why I oppose any county mandating one form or the other, regardless of my personal view that absentee voting is preferable. Because of this, I applaud the Republican minority on the Council for its opposition, even if their motives are different than mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home