The Moderate Washingtonian

Outlook on politics and elections in the state of Washington from an overall centrist viewpoint. My views tend to be libertarian in nature, but at the same time are largely nonpartisan.

22 April 2007

RIP John L. O'Brien

I just found out via Ridenbaugh Press that John L. O'Brien, essentially the father of the state legislature, has died today at the age of 95. Honestly, I had no idea he was still alive, being that he first set foot in the House in 1939, but had apparently been enjoying longevity in life much like he did as a state representative. O'Brien served from 1939 until 1992 with only one term in that stretch where he was not elected, and served as speaker for several terms in the 1950s and 1960s. Dan Evans fan though I am, here's to you, Speaker O'Brien. Thank you for your service to our state.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Moderate Washingtonian,

Thank you for writing those kind words about my Great-Uncle John. He loved serving the citizens of Seattle and being able to make a difference in our community.

Most of my Great-Grandparents arrived in Seattle from Ireland in the early 1900's, and we have remained a very close knit Irish Catholic family. Our family gatherings and holidays are quite loud and always pack the house with multiple generations.

Unfortunately, we are slowly losing relatives from my Great-Uncle's generation. Every passing becomes harder because every holiday feels just a little more empty. Even though our family grows yearly with the birth of cousins, nieces and nephews I still miss the voices and faces of my elders. I certainly will miss Great-Uncle John's smile and Irish toasts.

Thanks again for your kind words. Our family is very touched by the out pouring of support.

Sincerely,

Garth D. O'Brien

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger TMW said...

Of course, Mr. O'Brien. He was indeed a great man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home